Connetquot Stormwater Project
Project Location: Middlesex Avenue Town of Islip
Client: Town of Islip
N+P prepared construction documents for the complete reconstruction of Middlesex Avenue from Shore Avenue to the street end at Grand Canal in Oakdale. Once a contractor was awarded the project, N+P provided Construction Support and Construction Inspection Services. The project included a new roadway alignment and profile; multiple sections of road raising; rebuilding of the existing bulkhead at the drainage outlet on Shore Road; installation of a new positive drainage system; installation of a stormwater treatment structure; construction of a bio-swale area for stormwater treatment and infiltration; and installation of an in-line check valve to prevent tidal backflow.
N+P staff provided design support in response to unanticipated or changed field conditions, analyzed and participated in proposed design changes and interpreted design plans. There was substantial coordination with National Grid and Suffolk County Water Authority for design adjustments resulting from test pits and conflicts in the field.
N+P provided construction support for the review and approval of shop drawings, cut sheets, drill sheets, and material specifications.
The inspection staff duties included the following:
- Attended weekly meetings with the Town of Islip representatives to discuss project progress
- Assisted with coordination of various activities between the contractor, utility companies and Suffolk County representatives prior to and during construction
- Reviewed contractor’s proposals for modifications or substitutions
- Reviewed manufacturer’s certifications for substantial conformance with the specifications
- Reviewed contractor’s submittals including work schedule, list of subcontractors and suppliers
- Resolved any conflicts concerning the design drawings or for the interpretation of the plans and specifications
- Reviewed Contractor’s quantities and payment requisitions.
Relevant Project Components:
- Construction Engineering Services
- Construction Support Services
- Full-Time Construction Inspection